SXSW Eco 2013: Our top 3 talks
Thanks to Four Kitchen for the blog post on our panel at SXSW Eco:
"This year, we attended SXSW Eco 2013 and walked away very inspired by all the amazing talks. SXSW Eco is an excellent conference that converges environmentalism, sustainability, technology and other talks presented with an eye for changing the world.
Here are our top 3 talks from the conference:
The science of inspiring good behavior
Panel URL: http://schedule.sxsweco.com/events/event_ECOP16622
How do you encourage sustainable behavior, especially as it relates to purchasing behavior? Experts from Fast Company, Seventh Generation, Made Movement and Vizeum Americas provide insight into how to best tell your story to inspire good behavior. Here are my key takeaways:
- There are generally 2 groups that care about sustainable products: millennials and conscientious explorers.
- Millennials are externally driven and love to share their decisions.
- Conscientious explorers, usually heads of household, are internally driven — they seek to simply use good products for their family.
- Lead with the product, not the message. If the product is good, the message will resonate with the audience more strongly.
- Focus on the good, not the bad. Don’t guilt-trip your audience into good behavior. Focus on how good it will make them feel to use your product.
- When crafting your messaging to inspire good behavior, ask yourself this question: “What can you (or your product) simplify for people.”
- Allow your audience to live their values through the product.”